Travel Writing: Reflective Journal


Based on these pointers, please write your reflective journal:
  1. Iyer wrote that we travel to initially lose ourselves and later to find ourselves. Have you experienced both the losing and discovering of yourself? Please answer with examples.
  2. What new experiences have you earned so far?
  3. "What gives value to travel is fear", what does it mean?
  4. Were there any conflicts of values that you experienced in your trips? How did you negotiate them?

Note: all questions are based on Pico Iyer's 'Why We Travel'.

  1. Yes, I have. When I travel, I get carried away with the atmosphere. On the way to a destination, there are so many things that come to my mind. But when it arrived at the destination, it suddenly disappeared instantly, and only the peace that accompanies me. When I was at the height of a mountain, nature showed me that I was just a small piece of meat among the thousands of living things God created. And when I was in the lowest place on the sand of the beach, the breeze seemed to take my soul away and deliver an endless peace. And I will never get this unique experience if I just immerse myself in the house.
  2. Talking about experiences, there are so many new and unique things that I have gained all along while I am traveling. December 2014, I went to Wonosari for a week with a friend of the church. There I lived in a house with the feel of Java, which the floor of the house is still made of soil. And cuisine served also nuanced Java, which is where there is a spicy flavor and contains coconut milk. And I had to suffer from diarrhea during my stay there because of the unusual food for my stomach. Besides, every place I've visited has different rules or customs so I have to adjust to where I am.
  3. When we travel there are certainly many risks that we will face. Traveling means out of the safe zone (our environment) then there is no guarantee that the trip is safe. I just got back from Karangayar, and I went back to Salatiga on a motorcycle. During the trip, the weather is very bad, heavy rain and slippery roads. The thing I'm most concerned about is when my friend who carries a motorcycle and can not control a motorcycle while driving at high speed and it is certainly very risky and can cause accidents. And of course accidents can end up deadly.
  4.  I do not know, but I am a typical person who is complicated when traveling, not a perfectionist but approaching it. So when I travel and I forget the important things that should be on my journey, then it is enough to bother me. And usually I replace it with something else so my trip can continue again.

Komentar

Postingan Populer